The company was first incorporated as Standard Vacuum Refining Company of India in July 1952 and later named as ESSO India Limited from March 1962. On July 12th, 1974 when ESSO and Lube India were nationalized, the company was renamed as HPCL with effect from July 15th, 1974. Subsequently, Caltex was nationalized by Government of India and merged with HPCL in 1976. In the following year, the undertakings of Kosan Gas Company Limited, the concessionaries of HPCL in the domestic LPG market, were merged with HPCL. Hence, HPCL which is as amalgamation of various undertakings has been growing by leaps and bounds.