Tulasi has been revered in India for over five thousand years, as a healing balm for body, mind and spirit, and is known to bestow an amazing number of health benefits. Tulsi is widely used in Ayurveda for medicinal purposes. Eugenol, found in Ocimum sanctum, is believed to be the main constituent responsible for the medicinal properties of the Holy basil. The plant has also been found to have antimicrobial properties, thanks to the ursolic acid and carvacrol constituents found in it. Along with antimicrobial properties, the phytochemicals present in tulsi offer antioxidant as well as immune-enhancing qualities. It also has adaptogenic properties, that is, it enhances the body's ability to adapt to stress.
Benefits of Tulsi:
- Tulsi is helpful to fight air borne infections, bacterial and cough and cold due to environmental changes.
- Tulsi helps to enhance spiritual power, promotes healthy and happy mood feeling.
- Supports healthy urinary system and urination. Tulsi contains trace mineral copper needed to absorb iron.
- Aqueous decoction of Tulsi leaves is given as a tonic in gastric and hepatic disorders.
- Supports the immune system and is a tonic to lungs.
- The Juice of the leaves of Ocimum Sanctum is useful for eye drops.
- Tulsi boosts immunity and metabolic functions. Tulsi acts as a support for respiratory problems.