A 1-tbsp. serving of hot mustard powder will flavor your foods with its bold taste, but will also supply you with small amounts of key nutrients. Hot mustard powder contains a small amount of protein and fiber, as well as vitamins and minerals; 1 tbsp. of hot mustard powder contains 17 mg of calcium, 0.58 mg of iron, 46 mg of potassium and 13.1 mcg of selenium. You will also get a tiny dose of vitamin C, folate and beta-carotene from a tablespoon of hot mustard powder.
Benefits of Black Mustard Seeds Powder:
- Mustard poultices were (and still are) used to relieve the congestion resulting from a cold and cough.
- Got a stiff back or sore aching muscles? Soak yourself in a warm bath to which mustard powder has been added.
- The seeds powder prove to be a good source of omega--3 fatty acids, iron, manganese, zinc, protein, calcium, dietary fiber and niacin.
- Mustard seeds powder are a good source of magnesium, which helps reduce the severity of asthma, lower high blood pressure, and prevent heart attack in patients suffering from atherosclerosis or diabetic heart disease.
- It contains magnesium which helps in speeding up the metabolism of the body, hence improving digestion.
- Mustard seeds powder have antibacterial, antiseptic as well as antifungal properties.
- Consuming black mustard seeds can help people with a lack of appetite, when taken with milk, 15 minutes before the meal.
- Mustard seeds are a good source of selenium, which is known for its anti-inflammatory effects. Selenium is a nutrient that helps in reducing the severity of asthma, certain symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis and even cancer.
- The oil extracted from mustard seeds has an incredible capacity of lowering high blood pressure. Mustard oil helps preventing heart attacks and diabetic heart disease.
- Mustard seeds powder helps in reducing the frequency of migraine attacks. Consuming these seeds is known to help women suffering from distorted sleep patterns, associated with symptoms of menopause.
How to use:
To make a black mustard foot bath: Add one full tablespoon of black mustard seeds powder to two pints of boiling water and let steep and cool before adding to the foot basin.